Located in the province of Ouarzazate, on the main road to the South, around 3 hours from Marrakech, the Ksar Ait-Ben-Haddou is a perfect example of traditional southern Moroccan architecture. The site has been listed among UNESCO's world heritage sites since 1987, and has served as the backdrop to several major film productions including Lawrence of Arabia, Kundun, Un Thé auSahara and The Last Temptation of Christ.
To reach the site one must cross the Atlas mountains through Ttizi N’Tichka pass (2,260m) - itself a fabulous location for those who enjoy mountain biking - taking in spectacular views across the High Atlas and down fertile valleys.
- Set off from Marrakech around 8.30am after enjoying a delicious breakfast on our roof terrace.
- Pass through authentic Berber villages, stopping off for photos and refreshments.
- Stop at the spectacular mountain pass of Tichka to admire the beautiful views, before arriving at Ait Ben Haddou around midday. Opportunity to visit the kasbah at Aït Ben Haddou.
- Option 1: Lunch at the Kasbah and leave Ait Benn Haddou between 2-3pm, returning to riad l'Orangeraie for 6-7pm.
- Option 2: Drive a further 21 kms towards the city of Ouarzazate, where you will visit the Kasbah Taourirte in the centre of Ouarzazate. Includes lunch in front of the Kasbah. After lunch, visit the Cinema studios near Ouarzazate. Leave Ouarzazate between 3 to 4pm, arriving at riad l'Orangeraie for 7-8pm.
Cost: 120 Euros (for groups of up to 4). Covers cost of transport and driver. Meals/refreshments extra.